The Waukegan Yacht Club is a private Members’ Only Club located on Lake Michigan in Lake County, Illinois, approximately 35 miles north of Chicago – the Best Seat on the Lake. As a member of the National Association of Yachting Clubs visiting members of other clubs are welcome. Memberships are now available for both youth, individuals and corporations. See the Membership tab on this website to learn more.
Browse the web site and see what the Waukegan Yacht Club has to offer. Known as the ‘Friendliest Yacht Club on Lake Michigan’, we offer racing, cruising, sailing lessons, club boats, parties, member events and more. Browsing this website, will give you a taste of what the Waukegan Yacht Club has to offer. Click on the “Find Us – Directions” link for directions to the club.
The Waukegan Yacht Club was founded in 1927 to promote yachting, yacht racing and good fellowship among yachtsmen on Lake Michigan. The club has grown from its original home, a 20 ft x 60 ft houseboat, to its present one-story, full-service facility in Waukegan Harbor. The club is one of the oldest continuously operated yacht club on Lake Michigan.
The club is governed by a board of officers and directors elected by the members. Membership meetings are held quarterly in March, June, September and December. Members are also welcome to attend the monthly meetings of the Board of Directors which are held on the fourth Thursday of each month.
The Waukegan Yacht Club offers many boating and social events to its members. All events are organized and run by volunteer member committees and typically include: a New Year’s Eve Party, St. Patrick’s Day Party, Blessing of the Fleet, Chicago to Waukegan Sailboat Race, WYC Invitation Regatta, and the Commodore’s Ball. Other events fill out a full schedule of activities for the participation and enjoyment of the membership and their families.
The Waukegan Yacht Club is well known for its diverse sailing, learn to sail, and sailing instruction programs which run all year except when the harbor is frozen over.
- The club promotes a Junior Sail Program for children ages nine through eighteen years. Participants in this program learn sailing theory, seamanship, self-reliance and sportsmanship.
- The adult sail program is held on Wednesday nights, starting in April.
- A new woman-only adult sail program is being planned for Thursdays, also starting in April.
- Frostbiting in Waukegan Harbor during the winter rounds out our programs.
- There is a host of club racing venues to join –
- Wednesday night summer “beer races”
- Saturday Fall course events
- Port-to-port events
- Regional Regattas
The club also offers both sail and power cruising activities:
- Power yacht owners frequently plan informal cruises to near-by harbors as well as to harbors across the lake. More ambitious cruises to other ports of call are commonplace among members of the power yacht fleet.
- Sail cruisers join together for several trips ranging from single-day “lunch cruise” to “long-distance kick-off” cruises.
The Waukegan Yacht Club offers excellent dining and lounge facilities for members and their guests. The atmosphere lends itself to casual and formal dining as well as parties and special occasions. Our professional galley and serving staff offer a quality culinary experience at reasonable prices. Dinner is served on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights during racing season.
The Club’s facilities and restaurant, along with its unique waterfront location and spectacular views, are available for private, fully catered events and meetings. Club rental is discounted to members. Contact us at 847-623-4188 for more information.
Membership in the Waukegan Yacht Club is a very worthwhile and rewarding experience for boaters and non-boaters alike. if you love the water, boats, an active social calendar and wonderful people, you will feel at home in the Waukegan Yacht Club.